Extension Maths middle secondary Teacher's Resource Book
Product Code: 978-1-921085-83-3
Extension Maths for high achieving students is for maths students who need and enjoy the challenge of working with material which encourages the application of higher order thinking.
The problems and exercises in these books encourage students
- to think creatively
- to be flexible in the use of new ideas and approaches
- to be fluent in the creation of an array of ideas
- to elaborate on similar ideas
- to be original in thinking of new approaches or new ways of seeing problems.
The problems and tasks are based on the topic and concept areas studied in the middle secondary years (years 9 - 10) with points of departure to allow challenge, application and extension of ideas. Solving the problems requires each student to seek information beyond the classroom, modifying their thinking and being prepared to use and think of new approaches in unfamiliar situations. Each student book includes answers to each question. Fully worked solutions are provided in the teacher’s book for each level.
The tasks can be used as an addition to the teaching program where more able students can be directed to pursue challenges which require the application of a range of problem solving techniques centred on the topic being studied.
There are two broad types of task:
- topic-based: number, linear algebra and graphing, quadratic algebra and graphing, indices and logarithms, measurement, trigonometry, geometry, probability and statistics.
- general-nature: a collection of challenging questions which require the application of a range of approaches and skills in a non-routine manner.
The Teacher’s Resource Book for each level includes the worksheets, answers and fully worked solutions, hints to help students work through difficult parts of questions as well as suggestions for broadening the teaching program.
NOTE: Teacher’s Book contents for Middle Secondary Level cover all topics in the student book, with worked solutions and additional teaching hints for each section
Extension Maths (Middle Secondary) for Higher Achieving Students
Chapter 1 Number
Chapter 2 Linear Algebra
Chapter 3 Linear Graphing
Chapter 4 Coordinate Geometry
Chapter 5 Quadratic Algebra and Graphing
Chapter 6 Indices and Logarithms
Chapter 7 Measurement
Chapter 8 Trigonometry
Chapter 9 Geometry
Chapter 10 Probability
Chapter 11 Statistics
Chapter 12 Challenge Questions